In our day today life, we use at least one of the rar application for sure. It may be used to compress your codes, files, movies, songs whatever it is.
Winrar seems bit popular in this area but it now freeware or open source application. And I get annoyed when I double click on any .rar files it open winrar application and says buy it or use trial version. Then I was trying to find better compression application than winrar and guess I got success in that.
7-zip is the alternative to winrar or any compression application. It supports nearly all feasible format for your system. Its an open source software, so you can download it freely from here (32 bit) and from here for 64 bit pc
- It is of 1 MB size and supports near around 70 languages.
- Its latest version is 9.13 in beta relaease and 4.65 under stable release
- It supports under any windows platform like XP/Vista/ME/2000, hopefully it would work on 7 also
- 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.
- 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format
Compression ratio depends upon what you are going to compress. Like if you are going to compress any .exe file then it will not compress much because its already compressed. Use it and revert back your feedback here.