Before this I was using Dreamweaver (not free, so can’t use in office), textpad (also not free but can use under trial version in office too). Still I was in search of good open source editor and experimented with few like notepad2, notepad++, programmer’s editor (all three are freeware).
But I personally liked Notepad++ more other than those two. (Programmer’s notepad can also be a good choice). What i wished to see in my editor is having in notepad++, so i stopped searching more and started using this.
If you are working on windows, no matter what bit version (32 0r 64 )is and what windows type is (XP/VISTA/7), you will be using notepad or any other editor to write codes.Lets talk something about Notepad++ 🙂 .
- Its an open source licensed under GPL (GNU General Public License).
- Its Latest Version is 5.6.8 and its of 3.1 Mb approx. You can download it from here
- More than 1 million users have downloaded it from sourceforge.net only. (you can guess its popularity amongst programmers)
- It supports more than 30 languages. Support means it will highlight the syntax according to your choice of languages.
- I liked its search feature also . You can search in a file or within a directory for a word or whatever syntax you say.
- Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL(Standard Template Library for C++) which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size.
Its main features are listed below:
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N’ Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
You an choose your own theme from theme option (styles.xml and themeOptions. xml). add you own plugin and all. For more information visit its site